Lugs, Chains, and Paddle Blades

With these three modes we explore the natural world around us. The lugs of our shoes, the chains of our bikes, and the blades of our paddlecraft.

This is our archive of amateur exploration.

Enjoy!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Transcontinentalitis, Days 5 - 7
(Catawba, VA to Bristol, VA)

Day 5: Catawba, VA to Max Meadows, VA (87.5 miles, 398.3 total, 37.5 mph max)

Without a doubt the most challenging day in years. I thought I was going to fall over at times. The hills were unbearable and I felt sick all day.We stopped a few times and I was asleep within a few minutes. We made it to the Groves' (my brother-in-law's relatives) eventually. Thank God for the Groves. I never thought I'd be so happy to see total strangers. We're taking tomorrow off; it's necessary. 
I can't wait to get out of VA. I hate mountains.


Day 6: Day off in Max Meadows, VA

Stayed at the Groves; very nice people and interesting conversation. Mr. Grove has a great accent and is fun to listen to.

Bike maintenance today; we ought to be okay for a while. 
I needed to rest. I slept twelve hours last night and took a two-and-a-half hour nap around 1 o'clock. 
Great homemade food. I enjoyed myself and the Groves made us able to continue. If not for them, I think we would have burned out.


Day 7: Max Meadows, VA to Bristol, VA (75.3 miles, 463.6 total, 36.4 mph max)


Today was really no sweat. We're finally out of Virginia! 
We're about ten miles from the Tennessee border, a half mile North of Bristol, VA at the Sugar Hollow Campground. Shower. Dinner at Prime Sirloin. Buffet extraordinaire.
One week is over. It doesn't seem like that long, perhaps because the hills were tame today. Then again, I drafted most of the day. 
I broke and repaired my second spoke, and we came across about a dozen dogs. Fortunately, they're still afraid of me. Unfortunately, my rear wheel is very untrue and so I have a bumpy ride. 
I feel much better after leaving the Groves. 
Everybody here loves race car driving. There are pictures everywhere and t-shirts galore. 

Reading this now, I can't believe what a lousy journal I kept. Seriously, I know that this trip was more than a matter of looking around while miserably pushing through the hills.

However, I am certain that crossing the state of VA represents some of the toughest bicycling I've done in my entire life. It literally brought me to my knees and I can remember on day 5 passing out at least once in the grass along the roadside. The promise of shelter and some home cooked food was enough motivation to get up and continue each time, and Chris was critical in getting me to my feet. When we got to the Groves' I was running a fever and after eating I passed out before the sun went down. I didn't stir until the next morning.

We took that day off in Max Meadows, VA. It would one of the few full days off we took on the entire trip.

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. "I hate mountains"- who was that guy?! But the eating/sleeping/eating/sleeping sounds familiar, as does the passing out within seconds of laying down. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I'm really trying to find my journal but it's probably the same - little notes to help me! I don't remember it being that bad but I do remember you were really sick by the time we got to the Grove's and we needed some rest. I also believe I fell into some brush and had a tick on me that Mrs. Grove removed. We saw some confederate flag we thought was odd and did not appreciate. I need to find my journal!

    I remember specifically you told me if I ever got sick we could take some time off and chill out (not your exact words but I remember you being very compassionate) I think this was before you fell ill due to whatever.

    ReplyDelete